Picture this: you've just taken the perfect shot that represents your business at its finest, and you can't wait to make it your Google My Business (GMB) cover photo.
You upload it, only to find that it's not showing up.
Don't worry; you're not alone.
Many businesses face this issue, and in this article, we'll dig deep into the reasons and solutions for your Google My Business cover photo not showing.
How to Change a Cover Photo on Google Business Profile (Previously Google My Business)
Before we dive into the reasons why your cover photo might not be showing, let's quickly go over the steps to change your Google Business Profile cover photo:
- Sign in to your Google My Business account(external link)
- Click on the location you want to update (if you manage multiple locations).
- Navigate to the "Photos" tab.
- Click on the "Cover" section.
- Upload the desired image or choose an existing one.
- Click "Set as cover photo.
Once you've set your cover photo, Google may not display it immediately. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for your cover photo to show up.
Successfully uploading a cover photo can improve your local SEO especially when people are searching for relevant businesses near them. You want to make sure you upload a high-quality image that increases the chances of Google picking the cover photo you selected.
Increase the Chances of Having Google Pick the Google Business Profile Cover Photo You Selected
Even if you've correctly followed the steps mentioned above, Google still has the final say in which photo is displayed as your cover photo.
However, there are some tricks to increase the likelihood that Google will pick the one you've chosen:
- Make sure the photo is of high quality and resolution.
- Ensure the photo is relevant to your business and accurately represents it.
- Use a photo that has been taken by a Google Trusted Photographer(external link).
- Avoid using stock images or overly edited photos.
The Google Business Profile Cover Photo Can Show Up in the 3-Pack
When users search for businesses like yours, they might come across a "3-pack" of local businesses that Google displays at the top of search results.
Having an eye-catching cover photo is essential for drawing attention to your business in this 3-pack.
If your Google Business Profile cover photo isn't showing in the 3-pack, this can be due to a couple of reasons: either Google hasn't picked it yet or it doesn't meet Google's guidelines.
Google Can Update Your Google Business Profile Cover Photo Automatically with Recent Photos
Sometimes, even after you've set a specific cover photo, you may notice that Google has replaced it with a more recent image.
This is because Google’s aim(external link) is to provide users with the most relevant and up-to-date information possible.
If a new image is more representative of your business, Google might choose to use it as your cover photo instead.
Google Will Not Display Some Types of Images as Google Business Profile Cover Photos.
There are specific guidelines that Google follows when choosing which photos to display on your Business Profile.
If your cover photo is not showing, it could be because it doesn't meet these guidelines:
- No explicit content or nudity.
- No violent or gory images.
- No copyrighted images.
- No promotional or spammy content.
- No irrelevant images that don't represent your business.
- No images with watermarks, time stamps, or URLs.
If your cover photo falls into any of these categories, it's likely that Google won't display it.
Google My Business Cover Photo FAQs
Why doesn't my cover photo or logo show on Google My Business?
What should I put on my business cover photo?
What makes a good cover photo for a business?
Does adding photos to Google My Business help?
How often should a business change their cover photo?
Do Google My Business posts help SEO?
Where is the Cover Photo on Google My Business?
When you view your Google Business Profile, your cover photo should be the large, prominent image at the top of the page, just below your business name and overall star rating.
If you're not seeing it there, it could be due to one of the reasons discussed earlier in this article.
Google Business Profile Cover Photos Examples
Bad Cover Examples
- A blurry or pixelated image
- An image with promotional text or logos.
- An irrelevant stock image.
- A copyrighted image or one with watermarks.
Good Cover Examples
- A high-resolution photo of your storefront or office.
- A picture showcasing your products or services.
- A photo featuring happy customers.
- An image that highlights the unique features of your business.
What to Do When the Google Business Profile Cover Photo is Not Showing
- Double-check that your cover photo meets Google's guidelines.
- Ensure that you've set the image as your cover photo in your Google Business Profile dashboard.
- Wait for a few hours to a few days, as Google might take time to process the change.
- If your cover photo still isn't showing, consider uploading a new, more relevant image.
Ideal Google Business Profile Cover Photo Size
- The ideal size for a Google Business Profile cover photo is 1024 x 575 pixels.
- Make sure your cover photo falls within these dimensions to ensure it displays correctly.
Looking for a local SEO company in Wellington? We are experts in driving high-value traffic to our client’s websites by substantially improving their search engine visibility.
Don't miss the opportunity to stand out in Google search results and attract more customers. Contact us today to learn how we can elevate your online presence.