Using UX Research to better align the Alcohol.org.nz website with a Māori audience
Somar Digital designed and developed the Alcohol.org.nz website for Te Hiringa Hauora | Health Promotion Agency (now part of Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand). The Alcohol.org.nz site provides information, advice, research and resources aimed at breaking the cycle of alcohol harm in Aotearoa.
There was a significant UX Research component to the project with a key goal to reflect Māori drinking culture and Māori priorities in the alcohol space. The previous Alcohol.org.nz site attempted to talk to all people about all things alcohol. The new site needed to be for Māori first and foremost. It was vital to understand what talking and thinking about alcohol, online, looks like from a Māori perspective.
- The want for real stories and experiences was the stand-out theme from this round
- Making sure this site had a heavy emphasis on being responsive
- Using a mixture of realistic imagery and illustration to build richness to the final website
- Continuing to have discussions around how much of a Te Ao Māori lens is used
- The tone of the content was on the right track
- The structure and size of the site seem to be overall understood and easily navigated.